Truth be told, it occurred to me a few weeks ago that our 5 night trip to Boothbay Maine was fraught with risk. 

It involved three 80 mile legs. No problem with mimimal waves, but how often do we see 6 days of minimal waves along the northeast coast of New England?

The funny thing is that the marine forecast was showing just that up until Thursday morning, then things changed. 

I woke up Friday morning to a fairly normal northeast wind. That meant 150 miles of headwind chop enroute to Boothbay. I knew Mrs. Horne had her heart set on it, so onward ho!

Buddy Goes Haywire

Before I even left MBY Buddy – the autopilot was acting funny. It kept wanting me to go through something call THE CALIBRATION WIZARD. 

It let me create a destination for Boston Long Wharf, but wouldn’t hold the right course. I tried calling Scott at SK but he wasn’t answering (I later learned he was at a funeral – my condolences). 

As I ran out of options, I decided to try to run the setup wizard again. I’ve never done it, but I have seen Scott do it two or three times, so why not?

As my crew watched nervously, I ran through the entire process in about 5 minutes and voila, everything worked again. 

Still, the wind was kicking up as we passed Bird Island and so was my apprehension about the whole trip.

​​
After an uneventful run up the canal my fears were confirmed as we entered Cape Cod Bay an hit 4 foot choppy waves. 

I knew these were coming from the tidal currents as much as the wind, but it wasn’t a good sign. 

As we turned north toward Boston, I settled into the most comfortable speed I could find – 15 knots. It was just after 10:00 and Buddy was reporting 3 1/2 hours of pounding seas before we reached Boston!

I checked the Marine Forecast and the whole week was suppose to be just like this – Northeast blowing 20 – not good. 

Then Mrs Horne said “I changed my mind about Maine.”

With that my mind started running back up plans. Once I got a new plan in my head I offered to share it, but Mrs. Horne’s mind was back on going to Maine. 

After a little more talk, she agreed to let me call Plymouth and see if we could stay there for the night. 

Mrs. Horne took the helm and quickly realized what a pain it was picking out and avoiding the never ending string of lobster pots in the 3-4 chop. 

She said “any luck?” And knew we were going to Plan B. 

The New Plan

We confirmed a mooring with the Plymouth Harbormaster and I got the first spot on the wait list at Brewers. 

By the time we entered Plymouth Harbor, we had a confirmed slip at Brewers for the night and once again Life Was Good!

We had lunch at Crabbyshack where Rudy discovered the best Chowda eva. 


I also met Jake who’s crew was forced to cancel their offshore fishing trip due to the weather. 

Jake was drowning his sorrows in a 24 ounce Margarita. 


After lunch I read a book and helped Mrs. Horne clean up Vigilant. At “four we poured” and as we sat on the back deck, a new friend stopped by for a chat. 


Kevin owns a Back Cove 30 and he also knows Joyce at BYS. 

Cafe Strega

We had a great Italian dinner at Cafe Strega. 



On the way back to the dock, we discovered Dirty Water. 


It’s a micro refinery that makes vodka and rum in downtown Plymouth. I bought a bottle of “Chastity” which is their unflavored vodka. 

After a good nights sleep, we’re having breakfast on board and making way for Boston. 

Talk to you later!

Dave